Wednesday, January 24, 2007

BUT, WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO WEAR PRADA?

Recently, I watched The Devil Wears Prada. Then I watched it about 3 more times.

I have a morbid fascination with this movie. I just don't get it. Is it really possible that people take this fashion thing so seriously?

At first I thought that perhaps the appeal was creative- like art that you can wear. But upon reflection, that makes no sense, because it's just all stuff that someone else chooses- it's not self-expression because it's not acceptable to dress in anything other than what is currently in vogue.

Sacky said it is all about money. People want to wear designer clothing because it costs a lot, and when they are seen wearing it, everyone will know that they have money.

I say that there has to be something else to it. I refuse to believe that people care so much about the way others percieve them that they would starve themselves and waste thousands of dollars on designer clothing.

So...I asked Sacky to find me some modeling shows on the TiVo so I could try and figure it out.

He found me The Janice Dickenson Modeling Agency. I cannot stop watching it. I have seen one episode of it 3 times already.

The Janice Dickenson Modeling Agency is a reality show. It is the worst show I have ever seen in my life. It is a lot like The Anna Nicole Show (which, I recall, I was also compelled to watch) except that everyone on it is completely serious.

Everyone on the show is obsessed with their appearance and the way they walk. They really take the walking thing seriously- a staircase in a fashion show is seen as a very difficult challenge. They refer to people's appearance as their "talent." As in, "John has really been developing his talent. He did everything we told him to. He didn't eat for a week before this show."

I don't get it. These people look sick, they are so thin!

On another subject, I started watching so much teevee because the baby is sick, meaning that I have to sit on the couch all day with him lying on my stomach. He has been pooping all over everything about every 5 minutes, he's had a fever and once he threw up. Sacky took him to the doctor yesterday, and it seems he has a stomach bug and croup. He's getting much better though, which is a good thing, because everyone in this house needs to start getting more sleep, and soon.

Tonight Sacky is not cooking because he is too tired. I'm not going to cook chicken (which is all we have) because I'm not good at it. See the comments on Sacky's blog for a full discussion of this. So I decided that perhaps we should get some Olive Garden.

I was going to order fettucine alfredo, but then I found out that it has 97 grams of fat in it, so I'm not going to order that anymore. I will get one of their low-fat entrees (which still has 18 grams of fat!) instead.

I guess I'm done writing now, because The Janice Dickenson Modeling Agency is coming on.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

Hmmm....I don't think that people go into fashion for the money - I think there are people that have a gift for that sort of thing and like doing it, but that when they get around other fashion people, such as in the fashion industry, there's some kind of massive vanity reinforcement that goes on. That, combined with money and the ear of the public without the obligation to listen back to what the public is saying (from atop their ivory tower) produces the fashion industry. What do you think?

3:56 PM  
Blogger Phoooiee said...

No, I don't think people go into fashion for the money, but I do think that people wear fashion for the money.

I think that people who go into fashion do it for the image though, which is sort of related.

5:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home