Friday, June 30, 2006

Sometimes I get to thinking about how little I have done with my life. This only happens when I go to a concert. Every time I go to someone else's concert, I always think to myself that the music would be better if I were making it. This is probably egotistical, but I can't help it. I really like the way I make music better than the way most other people make music.

I teach music lessons for a living. It's very unimpressive, but very meaningful. I love it.

The only problem I have with teaching music lessons for a living, is that you don't really have to be any good at playing to teach music lessons. I know this for two reasons.

1) I know plenty of people who teach music lessons near where I live who are completely without talent or skill.
2) I have allowed my own skills to slide considerably since devoting myself to teaching, and I'm not one bit less effective because of this.

The real trouble is that I feel like I have wasted something. I was a good musician, or at least on my way to becoming one. I played several different instruments with facilityl, I had a well-developed spinto singing voice, and I really feel like I could have done something with a performance career. I guess I still have the singing voice, but I never use it anymore. And my instrumental skills are wasting away by the minute. It makes me feel extremely stopped-up.

One time my cello teacher told me that I was her "greatest hope." I suppose I am sorry to have been disappointing.

I'm happy with what I do. I just don't know if I am happy with who I am- being the small-town music teacher when I could have been the performer.

On a daily basis, I speak to my students in their lessons, and I think I am really telling them something of importance. I couldn't give it up, but I think it may have robbed me of my voice.

3 Comments:

Blogger Phoooiee said...

But I don't WANT to make changes somehow. I don't know- I can't figure it out.

I am 100% sure that I use the same fingerings as you do for taco bell canon, because I remember copying them from you in college.

6:48 PM  
Blogger Phoooiee said...

I use 1-1-2-4-4-1-1-3. But I know I copied it from you!

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home